Friday, April 9, 2010

Touring

I've heard of people going on vacations that involve touring various stadiums, but I'm pretty sure I've never heard of people vacationing and touring Emergency Rooms. Well, that is, until Lydia came along.

Not so long ago I was planning on doing a post titled "E.R. Series Finale...Hopefully", but as with a lot of things, I never got around to it. Since that time, I've had a few more experiences and decided not to use that title this time around.

We were in AZ visiting my parents during Emily and Grace's spring break. We had a lovely time of swimming, going to Wildlife World, going to Build-A-Bear and just generally relaxing. It was our last day and we decided to spend a little more time at the pool. I headed back early with Elise and the others followed shortly thereafter. On the way in the house Lydia began proclaiming, "I have to go pee." My usual reply is, "Well, then get going." However, by the looks of the pee dripping down her leg as she ran on the carpet to the bathroom, she should have said, "I'm going pee". I was immediately frustrated and "encouraged" her to move faster. She made it to the bathroom, which is tile, and slipped on the wet floor. No big deal, right?!? Not for the Lydster! She split her chin open and Doug immediately knew it would require stitches. So...there went the rest of his night spent in the E.R. About 5 hours later they finally returned home with 6 stitches.

One of the sweet things about all of this was that while Doug and Lydia were gone Emily and Grace became quite concerned (not always this way) about their beloved sister. They watched a movie with Grammy about a little boy whose sister died and I think this only added to their emotions. They began asking me several times about when she would get back. In fact, Grace came to me nearly in tears and said, "Do you think anything else happened to her?" Later, I found Emily gazing at a picture of Lydia in the hall wishing for her safe return. Lest anyone get too choked up, their tone changed dramatically the next day.

When the girls woke up the next day they had plenty of "encouraging" words for their Lydia.

Some of Emily's words:
Why couldn't they use white or peach thread?(You know, instead of the normal black stitching that is always used)
It looks like she has thorns on her chin.
I'm not used to her with those stitches.

Some of Grace's words:
It looked better with a band aide on.
I can't possibly live life with a sister who looks like she has a beard. (Someone needs a reminder that beauty is fleeting.)

Thankfully, Lydia is much less concerned with her looks and did quite well with the whole ordeal. Let's hope this is our last tour of new emergency rooms!

No comments: